“ANTI-HOUSE DUST MITE”
ADVICE AND TIPS
While it remains impossible to completely eradicate house dust mites, they can be limited by eviction and hygiene measures.
Ruin the lives of house dust mites…
- Reduce the humidity of your home by installing dehumidifiers;
- Avoid heating bedrooms to more than 18°C;
- Sanitise their “food supply”: use pillow protectors and anti-dust mite mattresses. Choose a mattress and a slatted base;
- Eliminate carpets and rugs in favour of hard floors (parquet, lino, etc.);
- Choose enclosed pieces of furniture such as chests of drawers instead of shelves.
Eradicate as many allergens as possible!
- Air all lived-in rooms every day for 30 minutes, even (and especially) in winter;
- Wash bedding (sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers) at more than 60° C;
- Every week, vacuum using a high efficiency particulate air grade filter (HEPA 13 or 14);
- Wash duvets, pillows and blankets once a year.
Put your child’s soft toys and comfort blankets in a bag and place it in the freezer for 24 hours: the house dust mites will not survive in there1.
 Neukirch C. Allergies respiratoires de l’adulte: diagnostic et prise en charge thérapeutique. EMC-Médecine.1(2004) 295-305.